Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hexes, Pinwheels and Bear Paws (and pigs). Oh my!

Here are a few more recent pictures from the Hexagon quiltalong by jaybird.



And I have 2 more pinwheels to share from the Pinwheel Sampler Quiltalong from p.s. i quilt. These are both extras that I made, so I guess they both count as block #8.


I've actually made a bit more progress on my pinwheel quilt. I have finished the quilt top and have almost completed the backing. Haven't taken pics yet, so that will have to wait.

I also got my Botany layer cake in the mail and started on the Vintage Bear Paw quilt from Moda Bake Shop. I just love this quilt and had to try it! I am using a layer cake instead of charm packs and turnovers and it is working out perfectly so far. If this quilt turns out nice I may give it to my mom.


And last, but not least, I won't get much craftiness done this weekend because I am going to Cincinnati to run in the Flying Pig Half Marathon with my sister. We did Detroit last Fall, so now it's my turn to go to her. Should be fun!

3 comments:

  1. your hexies look great!!! {and so do the pinwheels & bear paw..} but i heart hexies!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on flickr and you answered but I have more questions!! :0 I see you have LOTS of beautiful quilts and that pillow...wow!
    What I am wondering on the Botany quilt is what size is the big square in the Bear paw and then what size did you use for each claw?? I have never seen this done with a layer cake before and would love to attempt it at some point. I think this is the first time I have done a double take at Botany too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ- The big square for each bear paw is 4.5 inches (same as a charm pack) and the triangles for the claws were 3 inches on the short sides (90 degree triangles). When I sewed the triangles together I then trimmed them to be 2.5 inches square. I used the 45 degree mark on my 2.5 inch wide ruler and lined that up with the seam. I had a small amount of fabric left over from each layer cake piece.

    ReplyDelete